Sunday, February 24, 2008

Puttin the studio to good use...

Happy Sunday everyone.

If you've got a minute, I'd like to share a few things with you. I've actually spent the past week or so since my studio has been finished, just sitting in here admiring it :-). I spend a lot of time admiring stuff, don't I? Well, it's pretty, what can I say?

Well, I actually completed my very first scrapbook layouts in my studio. Tell me whatcha think...

~This first one was obviously inspired by Mister M's recent birthday. I just can't tell ya'll how much I love this picture of him. He does NOT like having his picture taken. So to get one this natural and candid was awesome. Actually, he was just as surprised as I was to see it. As he didn't even remember this one being taken. He was just standing there talking and laughing with our friends, Trish & Juan (the photograhers), waiting for them to tell the rest of us where to stand :-). Love it! And I think the title fits perfectly. As soon as I saw this photo, "Sexy Cool" was the first thing that came to mind.


~This second one was one I've been wanting to do for several months now. Just hadn't gotten around to it. Ya'll know I'm a big Jayla fan, lol. And when I walked past her room one day and saw her "on the phone", I just had to grab the camera. She loves when me and daddy get new cell phones. As she gets to have the old ones. So there she was, laying on her bed "chatting" away on her new phone. And I just knew that this blog name would be PERFECT for these pictures of my Jayla. Tanisha, I told you I was gonna "borrow" your heading one day, didn't I? :-). Thanks!~This last LO wasn't actually done in my studio. But it's the first one I've done at our weekly Girls Night in a while. So I had to share it too. I thought it was time to spotlight the other handsome guy in my life :-).Alrighty, that's all the showing off I have for tonight. Thanks for looking.

NOW, I have another issue to talk with you about. Yesterday, I took Jayla to look for some more black dress type shoes. Being that all the Spring/Summer stuff is out now, black dress shoes are hard to come by. But not to worry, I found some that both of us like. And they were on sale too. Gotta love that, right?

Ok, that wasn't the "issue"...THIS is the issue. I HATE SHOPPING FOR MYSELF!!! Before Jayla and I left, Mister M. told me that I could find myself a few pairs of pants and maybe some tops. You know, something other than the standard issue uniform jeans that I wear on a daily basis :-). Every Sunday, I'm hard pressed to find anything to wear to church. Or for times when we go somewhere that jeans may not be appropriate.

For some time now, I've been joking around with my MIL and a few friends, that I'd like to get "nominated" for this show. At first, I thought it would be tons of fun to be able to shop for myself with someone elses money...in NYC no less. But after yesterday, not so much.

ARGH!!! I went to one store and I was totally disgusted. I literally left there with a headache. And I was only in there for about 15 minutes. I have no problem (anymore) admitting that I'm a plus sized woman. And that's actually not the problem I'm having. Because I CAN find stuff that fits. It's just that...everything these days looks so....so WEIRD!!! I mean, I'm not trendy by ANY means. But I DO like for my clothes to match and to look neat. The fashions these days look so SLOPPY!! And don't even get me STARTED on how much stuff costs!!! I will be the first to admit that I'm cheap...especially when it comes to purchasing things for myself. I have (almost) no problem spending money on my family and/or things for my home. But stuff for me...can't do it. I did, however, manage to find 2 pairs of pants that I was willing to pay for. Mainly because they were 50% off at Kohl's. So that worked well for me. But I was looking for a couple of tops and I just got overwhelmed. Ya'll should've heard Jayla lecturing me about how I should "take care of myself" (insert rolling eyes here). I'm convinced my MIL and Mister M. told her to give me a hard time about this whole...shopping thing. lol

By the time I was ready to throw in the towel and just go home, Jayla says to me, "Mom, what's WRONG with you?" LOL (yes, she asked me that again! That's twice in one week!)

Ok, so that leads me to my questions to all of you women out there. 1. Does it have to be this difficult? 2. Is it just me? Or does everyone have a problem finding "normal" looking clothes these days? 3. Is it easier to shop for yourself when you're by yourself? Or do you need "assistance"? 4. Do I just need to find someone to shop for me? Or just someone to tell me where to go? (not in a literal sense, mind you. lol) And lastly, 5. Is it easier to shop for yourself or for your family?

I wish ya'll could've seen Mister M's face when I came home with only TWO pairs of pants. It was too funny. But he knew it was quite the chore for me, when I popped 2 Advils and took a nap! ARGH!!

9 comments:

Gretchen said...

I know what you mean about admiring things. I do that too. :)

Shopping IS tough, and I share many of your same thoughts. I also vacillate between wanting to spend a fair amount of money to get something that "really fits" and have less of that something, and buying a 1-2 season something from Target or Kohls. Sometimes I do both--for "fun" stuff, I pay less, and pay a bit more for stuff I want to last. My suggestion is to go by yourself and give yourself plenty of time, both for shopping and a decompression Dr. Pepper afterwards. It's just hard because you need to be picky and find something that fits well, not just that zips. Know what I mean? If you don't think you want to face it alone, I'd then suggest bringing someone whose taste and style you really admire, and asking them for a game plan.

Good luck!

renee said...

I used to have a much harder time with shopping. It is much easier now, with the weight loss. I get excited seeing a size smaller every time I shop. I also make sure that I pick up something that fits at least once per month, which makes the whole shopping thing a lot less overwhelming. Now, if I am in Kohl's, Ross or TJMaxx (My three favorite hangouts) and see something that strikes my fancy, I get it then. If I had to pick out several outfits, I think I would get overwhelmed. Another thing that helps me is that Lauren dresses me. She helps me stay trendy and picks a bunch of my stuff.

Jude said...

Hey Dawn... yes, I am a slcacker and still owe you an e-mail... sorry! I love your new LOs and am LOL at the shopping... I can always find stuff, its jsut the paying for it that's the problem! It is much easier to buy stuff for the boys though, I admit that!

Monogram Queen said...

Oh you are talking to the wrong one here LOL I have no problem shopping for myself BUT I prefer to do it alone.

Lynilu said...

I love to shop, but finding things that I'll buy is often a challenge. Some trends are just yucky, and especially for a mature woman's body. Then there is the other end of it, finding quality clothing, but it all looks like my gramma should be wearing it!! (I know, I *am* a gramma, but I don't want to dress "old.")

Don't get stressed. I agree that going alone is a very good idea. And remember that you don't HAVE to buy everything in one day!

Cheryl Wray said...

I seriously do enjoy shopping for myself, but I RARELY do it! Mostly because I'm too cheap! lol

But...absolutely the way to do it is to go by YOURSELF. That's the only way I really enjoy it!!!

I LOVE your layouts!!!!!!!!!!

Lesli said...

Great LO's - I love it when I get the opportunity to play!

Black Wombmyn Chat said...

I think the most aggravating time is to shop for clothes, shoes when you actually NEED them. Then the stores have got everything EXCEPT what you're looking for.

If you're a window shopper, it's brilliant because then, at your leisure, you can cruise the clearance racks of your favorite stores and find some AMAZING pieces at really low prices.

I find that I've found my best items when I bought them out of season or when I wasn't expecting to buy them.

AND I always shop ALONE!!!!

Emme Jay said...

Hey Dawn. I am with you. I am a plus sized woman and I don't like the styles. I can have a good eye for fashion, but some of the clothes in my size are just too old fashioned. Shopping for myself is always frustrating. Maybe I should have a personal shopper tailored to my style:) Have a great day!