Friday, August 24, 2007

I'll get my OWN birthday gift....

I'm thinking this is what Trae said to himself, once he saw that we didn't get him a birthday gift a couple days ago.

As I was on my way out the door to run errands today, my mother in law stops me and asks me to come look at something. We get to the deck door and find this...




Do you see it? Go ahead...try and look a little closer. Still can't see it? Ok, how bout this one...













Me and mom, for the life of us, couldn't figure out how this little guy climbed up a flight of 16 stairs. I thought I'd better take a picture of him, just in case he decided that getting back down was even more of a challenge, and decided to jump for it :-). Also, I wanted to show Jayla when she got home from school.

Mom told me that Trae wanted a closer look at this little shelled creature and almost got his nose snipped :-). So she made him go back in the house and started having a little conversation with the little guy...yes, my MIL was talking to a turtle (that she didn't even know, mind you!)

I went ahead and left for my errands. While driving, hubby called me so I told him about our new pet. After trying to figure out where the little fella came from, it became very clear that Trae must've found him. Now, as I mentioned in Trae's birthday post, the ole boy weighs in at 71 pounds. And with that size, comes a big mouth. He can actually pick up a soccer ball and carry it around the yard...it's true, I've seen him do it! So now it's all becoming a bit clearer. Trae found this new "toy" in the yard and brought it up on the deck so my MIL would have someone to talk to. Ok, that's a stretch. But he DID bring it up there. Can you imagine the look on that turtle's face? LOL

Later in the day, on one of Trae's many visits to the backyard, my MIL told him to pick up the turtle...which he did, and to take it back where he got it from...which he did. He's such a smart boy. Now you'll all be glad to know that no turtles were harmed...scared to death, but not harmed.
Maybe it's for the best that he went back into the woods. I mean, I sure don't need someone living with me who's camera shy! lol

8 comments:

Susie Q said...

Okay, I was already grinning like crazy but when I read, "and she didn't even know him!" I lost it!
So your MIL talks to strange turtles does she? Well, she and I are very much a like...: )
I would SO Loved to see Trae with that turtle in his mouth! Too funny...no turtles were harmed...scared to death but not harmed. That is too funny!
Thank you for the sweet giggle on my way to bed!

Love,
Sue

Diane said...

Hehe cute story. Dixie has found 2 turtles for me in my backyard... The difference was, I was the one to bring them up to the deck. :) Well one of them anyway. I wanted to keep the first one but I had to go to work and he "ran" away. :)

TanishaRenee said...

This is such an entertaining story, and what a cute turtle! You've gotta scrap this...you already have your journaling! LOL!

Jude said...

its a ninja turtle!! LOL...

Unknown said...

LOL! Poor turtle! I would be scared to death too if I ended up in a dogs mouth and brought up all those stairs. Trae had his new buddy right where he wanted him!

Monogram Queen said...

This is too funny Dawn! One time when we lived out in the country, we had a basset hound,Presley, and a retriever/basset mix,Willie. Well I came home from work one day and there was this ENORMOUS turtle in the fenced in yard. He was bigger than a large frying pan, I kid you not. The dogs were barking at him and going crazy. He just sat there like "I really landed right in the middle of the poop THIS time". Walked the perimeter of the yard. No holes, no opening in or under the fence. Never figured out how he got in. Never saw him leave either. Perhaps he was a "houdini" turtle? I dunno! Sorry for the long winded comment. I think I heart your MIL!

Lynilu said...

Too funny! Trae is quite self-sufficient, isn't he? Especially considering he's just a toddler!! LOL!!

Brown English Muffin said...

Trae really did as he was told? That's a very obedient animal!!!