Thursday, January 26, 2006

The Perished Printer

Oh what a sad day. Ok, maybe it's not so sad. It's more like a bitter sweet moment.
For the past day or so I have been having problems with my Epson Stylus C86 Photo printer. I won't bore you with the details of what it was...or was not doing. It just wasn't working properly. I have spent a small fortune on ink cartridges for this puppy since I bought it almost a year ago. I have truly put this printer to the test though. I mean I AM a scrapbooker. And I HAVE to print my photos and journaling, right? Trust me when I say I used the printer to its potential. Anyway, after changing 3 of the 4 cartridges within a 24 hour period and spending yet another $50 on MORE ink today. I thought it was time to give Epson Tech Support a call. I had already done all the tests prior to calling, but they suggested I do them again...just for kicks and giggles I assume. We knew there was a problem when it was "printing" blank pages and all the lights on it started flashing. Now, I'm concerned!

I asked the tech if this was something that he'd seen happen before and fortunately he said yes. So I wasn't the only one. However, at this point I'm thinking I'd better locate a coffin...uh, I mean box to put this thing in and send it back to Epson. But to my surprise, that was NOT the next step or resolution.

RESOLUTION: I do NOT have to return the old printer (which in fact IS still under warranty until April). In fact, they are going to ship me the upgrade of this printer...at no charge to me. (And the church said...AMEN!) So within the next 3 - 5 business days, I will be receiving a brand spankin new Epson Stylus C88 Photo Printer. How cool is THAT?? Two steps up for mankind. What do I do with the deceased one you ask? I was politely told I could either recycle it or heave it off a nearby cliff. Hmmm, what to do?

REMAINING PROBLEM: Remember the $50 I spent TODAY on more ink? Well, the new printer doesn't take the same kind of ink as the old one. Of course it doesn't...DUH...that would only make sense. And, of course I can't return the ink to Staples because I had to open the outer packaging to replace one cartridge that probably didn't really need replacing.

(Possible) 2nd RESOLUTION: The tech said that Epson MAY be able to reimburse me or "swap" cartridges with me once I get the new printer. I'm interested in seeing how THAT pans out.

Alrighty, that's enough fun for me today. Hopefully, I'll be back in business soon. I've got some scrappin to catch up on....

2 comments:

Diane said...

Glad you got some resolution at least... And a new printer too! :)

Adrienne said...

Glad you are getting a new printer...too bad it won't be able to print my pics while Im there....man, Im missing out on EVERYTHING! LOL...new furniture....new printer....

tee hee