Thursday, March 29, 2007

He's a DOZEN!!!

Today is Markell's 12th birthday! Has it been 12 years already?

Most of you who read my blog may not know Markell's story. But it's a good one...especially for those of us who have been blessed to have him in our lives.

I'll try to be brief.

Markell is my nephew...he's my sisters son. My sister was young when she had Markell and wasn't able to take on the roll of a mother at such a young age. So my DH and I discussed it...albeit quickly, and decided that, instead of letting him get adopted by strangers, we'd take him in and become his legal guardians. So 4 days after Markell was born, me and my oldest daughter went to Mobile, Al to, hopefully, meet and bring home our newest family member. Well, we got him from Social Services the day after we arrived in Mobile and 3 days later, brought him back to Atlanta to start his new little life.

Markell was 7 days old when he came to live with us. We have loved him and raised him as our own since 1995. THIS is why I can't believe that it's already been 12 years!

We have always wanted a son of our own and taking in Markell was the next best thing. I love this boy more that you'll ever know. And I wouldn't change a single thing about our decision. He's an awesome, energetic, sweet kid and adds his own little "flavor" to our world.

Ok, before I get all misty...allow me to share some photos of what a 12 year old looks like :-). I just did a mini photo shoot of him in our backyard...can you believe it?...he actually LET me take pictures of him this time. Hmmm, maybe being a dozen does something to a guy, who knows, he may let me start taking pictures of him more often. :-) Enjoy!

Ok, I tried! This last picture sheds a little light on my "hopes" mentioned above. Maybe things haven't changed...he still doesn't like me taking pictures of him. But c'mon...he's SO handsome...it's always gonna be worth a try.

Happy Birthday MARKELL!!!! I love you, bunches & bunches!


12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ditto!

Jada said...

He is a handsome boyHe is blessed to have you and you DH.I have worked with children in foster care and they go through alot. I always wonder where is the other family members when these kids end up in foster care.God bless

Leah said...

What a cutie! I especially love the 2nd picture where he has his hands behind his head..great expression on that face! Happy Birthday Markell!!

Susie Q said...

Happy Birthday Markell. What a handsome guy he is!!
As the mom of 2 adopted children I know we can say we could not love them any more if we had given birth to them ourselves. They ARE ours in every sense of the words...When you are the caregiver and raise them...no one can ever take that bond away. Never.
Love ya Dawn...you are so very special. And whoa, is Markell handsome and what a great young man. Tell him I have a pretty 9 year old daughter that can date in 7 years! *laugh* She says he is "weally, weally cute." BIG compliment from the Gracester!
Hugs to you all,
Sue

Adrienne said...

Awww, Happy B'day to Markell!!!

ScrappinMyRoots said...

He's soooooo handsome! What a great job you have done raising him. I did'nt know you had him since 4 days old. Wow, time really flys.

Cheryl Wray said...

Happy Birthday Markell!!!! Those are absolutely gorgeous pictures of him! (You know he's gonna be a heartbreaker one day! lol)
The story of your getting and raising Markell is just beautiful; thanks so much for sharing it with those of us who didn't know the back story. You are a wonderful Mom!
March is a perfect birthday month, isn't it?

Dawn Bibbs said...

Oh my goodness, you guys are so sweet. And you're honest too...Markell IS a handsome something! :-) lol

I will be sure to share with him all of your birthday wishes. He thinks his birthday should last all week anyway...lol.

And yes, March is a great month for birthdays. But November is THE month of birthdays for our family.

Thank you guys again and have a great weekend!

Diane said...

He is SUCH a beautiful boy (sorry if he hates me calling him a girly word like beautiful). :) The last picture cracks me up... Tough guy.

Lynilu said...

Ohhhh. Markell is a very handsome young man. And you tell him I said so!! Happy Birthday, Markell!

I think you're all fortunate to have one another. It goes both ways, doesn't it?

Brown English Muffin said...

he is such a handsome boy...he's going to drive girls wild!!!

Veroncia Butler said...

Happy Belated Birthday Sweet Boy! You are all so blessed to have each other. I love to heat that story. Great photos D.